Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday, July 3, 1964

Billy's Birthday -
Baked Billy's birthday cake this A.M. - Double Dutch Devils Food - made 7 minute icing - made it into a loaf cake so I could get the train on it - decorated it. Called Betty Smith & Mrs. Pipkin to invite kids to the party. Little Adrian came up while we were eating bkfst. - Kitty came after him. Gladys called - Ruby called this A.M. at 8:00 & said they were leaving for N.C. - We agreed to keep Pam - Wrapped Billy's gift - Hank got him a fishing pole. Had the party outside about 2:30 - Kitty, Gladys & Betty Smith were here - also Cindy, Kathy Smith, Teenie, Mark, Scott & Roxanne Pipkin - Hank helped - he served the drinks. Didn't have much supper - Billy & I ate hot dogs - Gladys & Cindy came down & took Billy & I with them to Williams Farm - got cucumbers & tomatoes - Stopped at Gladys's & took half of her potatoes (78 cents). Cooked potatoes & eggs for salad - washed & set my hair - Pam stayed with Sharon Hildebrand - Billy got cards from Mom & Dad - Dowlings - Dr. Clark - Cindy - Pipkins (2) - $1.00 from Pam & Dowlings -

3 comments:

Carolina deWitte said...

I'm really enjoying reading this diary. I remember those days so well...I'm 64. It really 'brings home' how much our world has changed, and unfortunately not for the better. I'm so tired of reading 'modern' blogs in which the authors rant about things such as how they wouldn't think of turning on their ovens in the summer time..."If I can't cook it in the microwave or on the grill...it doesn't get cooked'. Then, I read about your mother making huge, home-cooked meals in the south, in the summer, with no AC. She also irons, keeps her home immaculate, takes care of you, all with no complaints. I did these things, as did my mother, grandmothers, "greats", etc, down through history. These new generations complain about everything, instead of simply 'getting it done'. Such a sense of entitlement these days.

Reading this diary is bringing so much 'back' to me. Thanks so much for sharing this. (Do you have your grandmother's diaries too? Those would be something else, I'm sure. If you do have them, I hope you will share them as well.) This is such a wonderful tribute to your mother, who it sounds like died far too young. It's a real labor of love. Thanks once again for sharing.

Bill said...

I'm glad that Louise & Carolina are enjoying my mother's diaries. I knew when I decided to start this blog that it would have a very narrow appeal, because my mom did not keep a diary for any purpose other than recording her daily activities. So, thanks for dropping by!

Carolina mentions my grandmother's diaries, and I am sorry to say that they are lost. My grandmother insisted on destroying them before she died, and I'll bet her diary would have been much more 'opinionated' than my mother's! They were off-limits to everyone, and she watched her son burn them to be sure they were beyond prying eyes.

My mother worked until I was born. Like many women of that era, motherhood outweighed the helpful additional income. She took homemaking as seriously as any job, but I think she missed outside work. She had a keen sense of humor, and enjoyed the company of others. I think it was hard for her to give up her career.

ARISTIONO NUGROHO said...

Hi friend, peace...
Your blog very interesting. If you willing, visit or follow my blog please, "Sosiologi Dakwah" at http://sosiologidakwah.blogspot.com